Welcome!

Here, I’ll explore the full spectrum of workplace issues—from past experiences and current challenges to the evolving impact of artificial intelligence. Whether you're navigating office dynamics, reflecting on historical shifts, or preparing for the future of work, you'll find practical tips and thoughtful insights to guide you.

Thursday, October 1, 2026

Incident Report for shift 9-29-26

 


I walked into my shift today on 9-29-26 and every register drawer was standing wide open—no cash trays anywhere. I needed to clock in or I’d be late, so I logged out the “manager” who was still signed into the register, assuming she was the one who left everything open like that. I clocked in and started my normal routine: powering things on, checking batteries, getting the retail area ready.

Then the restaurant manager came in.
I said, “No cash trays today?” She marched straight to the register and snapped, “WHO LOGGED ME OUT?” I told her I did because I needed to clock in. Then she hit me with, “What else do you need to do?” I was already doing what I needed to do, so I said, “Nothing.”
That’s when she switched into that squeaky, tough‑voice she uses—hard to understand most days, but this time I caught it. She said, “YOU NEED TO GO GET A KEY.”
I was floored. For weeks now, that back‑room key has been brought up front every morning. I’d find it lying next to the register or on the back cabinet—basically tossed wherever, like someone throwing their purse down when they walk in the door. I assumed this was the new routine so I wouldn’t have to leave the retail area unattended first thing in the morning. I thought no wonder they keep losing those keys, the way they throw them around everywhere.
I told her, “They’ve been bringing the key up here every day.”
She squeaked back, “NO. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO GO BACK AND GET THE KEY AND SIGN IT OUT AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR SHIFT.”
As if she was giving me some brand‑new training I’d never heard before.
Right then Myrtle walked in, and the manager suddenly gave her a big hug. I don’t think Myrtle knew what the hug was for. I sure didn’t. Then the manager stormed off to her side of the building like she had just delivered some grand correction.
Here’s the bottom line: retail instructions are clear—do not leave the retail area unattended, AT ANY TIME OF SHIFT. That’s why I thought they were bringing the key up front. It made sense. It kept the area covered. And it had been happening consistently, until today, when obviously this manager changed the rules to try and make it look like "she had to give me more training on what to do when I first entered the shift."
So what was today’s performance about? Who knows. Maybe she’s trying to win the prize for “Most Unnecessary Training of Connie.” Honestly, I laughed out loud. You really can’t make this stuff up.
But apparently… they can. I thought too, come on now, Tricks are for kids. But I suppose she thinks she is playing with a kid.

Addendum note to myself: This incident occurred with restaurant manager Kari.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Incident Report for shift 9-29-26

  I walked into my shift today on 9-29-26 and every register drawer was standing wide open—no cash trays anywhere. I needed to clock in or I...